Latest Local News
Wilmington's Ironman will cause delays and road closures downtown and around Greenfield Lake, MLK, and Eastwood
Run course road closures will be downtown, but drivers should also expect "major" closures and delays along the path of the competition's bike route, which runs from Wrightsville Beach, along Eastwood Road and Miltary Cutoff Road, up to Pender County.
WHQR News Director Ben Schachtman is with us to offer something of a primer on the municipal races on the ballot this fall. You'll come away with a better idea of who’s on the ballot and why, what the pressing local issues are this year, and you don’t even have to listen directly to politicians.
All throughout October, The Newsroom will feature special coverage of the 2021 elections for Wilmington's city council and mayoral seats. With eight candidates for council and a head-to-head battle for mayor, it will be an interesting month.
More Local News
- As Covid metrics improve, New Hanover County health board will reconsider mask mandate
- New Hanover County wants public input on 'community safety'
- Wilmington City Council fails to agree on proposal for city-owned land on Castle Street, discussion postponed to next year
- 2021 Elections: Town of Leland Council Part II - Candidates Harmati, Holloman, and McHugh
- Elections 2021: Town of Leland Council Part I - Candidates Dunlap, Gaver, and Newell
- The $1.25 billion New Hanover Community Endowment leaders want public input, talk transparency and county boundaries
Culture / Arts / Inside HQR
- Around Town with Rhonda Bellamy: Katie Crosby
- Around Town with Rhonda Bellamy: Janette Hopper
- Around Town with Rhonda Bellamy: Annette Freeman
- Cinematique Pop-Up Featuring The Eyes of Tammy Faye and The Velvet Underground
- Around Town with Rhonda Bellamy: Art by Nugget
- Around with Rhonda Bellamy: Susan Habas of Thalian Association Community Theater
Port City Politics
Week of September 27 - IATSE strike, Woody White resigns, Vantaca scores incentive offer, and Covid updateOn this episode of the podcast: A potential strike by the IASTE union could disrupt projects by Hulu, Netflix, and other streaming-service companies, Woody White resigns in protest from the UNCW Board, Wilmington-based Vantaca scores over a million dollars in grant offers, and what's the latest on boosters, third shots, and other vaccine news?
- Film crew voiced complaints before fatal on-set shooting
- African farmer grows rice paddies in N.Y.'s Hudson Valley
- 11 days after killing Moroccan man, a Texan is arrested on a murder warrant
- Despite higher COVID risk, most pregnant Americans remain unvaccinated
- Border Patrol apprehensions hit a record high. But that's only part of the story
- Again and again. Women's pro soccer players are just the latest to deal with abuse
Coverage of council and mayoral elections from Wilmington and surrounding towns.
Keep in touch with WHQR