Latest Local News
After hearing a series of public comments — mostly opposed — the Wilmington Metropolitan Planning Organization voted 7-5 to reject the further exploration of an 'unsolicited proposal' to privatize the operation of a replacement bridge. That leaves the future of the Cape Fear Memorial in serious question but, for now, rules out a toll bridge.
CoastLine: Black bears, alligators, feral swine, and venomous snakes populate SE NC and can coexist peacefully with humansBlack bears, feral swine, alligators, and snakes — venomous and nonvenomous — are living in the Cape Fear region. There's nothing to fear from the local wildlife, say state biologists, but there's a lot to learn.
The Port City Podcast is a collaborative effort between WECT and WHQR. Every two weeks (or so), WECT’s investigative reporter Michael Praats and WHQR’s News Director Ben Schachtman will break down the latest happenings in local politics.The Podcast will be available from both stations. You can find the video version from WECT here. For now, you'll find Port City Podcast here in the Newsroom feed — but it will have a home of its own soon.
More Local News
- Wrightsville Beach PD and District Attorney say no charges, no prosecution in early-morning alleged assault
- Pender County's undeveloped barrier island is an immaculate anomaly. Now, it will forever remain that way
- Covid Update: Across the state and in New Hanover, vaccinations stagnate while Delta-variant cases tick up
- Watch Live from NPR: Jan. 6 Select Committee holds first meeting
- Can collaborations save journalism, and communities, from news deserts? The Border Belt Independent thinks so.
- Updated: Shooting kills two, wounds one at home of Tru Colors executive off of Middle Sound Loop
Culture / Arts / Inside HQR
- Around Town with Rhonda Bellamy: Cash & Cash
- Around Town with Rhonda Bellamy: Continuum + FF
- Around Town with Rhonda Bellamy: Opera House
- WHQR's 2021 Annual Meeting a Success--New Board Members Elected
- (Virtual) Prologue: "What a Wonderful World This Could Be" by Lee Zacharias, July 12th
- Around Town with Rhonda Bellamy: TFA + Art in the Garden
- Harvey Weinstein Tries And Fails To Have Several Sexual Assault Charges Dismissed
- Want To Drink Inside? San Francisco Bars Require Proof Of Vaccine Or Negative Test
- Biden's COVID-19 Response Coordinator Discusses The Plan To Stop The Delta Variant
- Congresswoman Bass Talks About The Police Reform Bill That's Been Stalled Since March
- Federal Employees Are Largely In Support Of Receiving A Vaccine Mandate
- Texas School Administrators Go Door-to-Door To Bring Students Back To The Classroom
Keep in touch with WHQR
Where Are They Now? UNCW/WHQR Grad Fellows